A piano is that one part of the moving inventory that gives headaches. And taking into consideration the fact that 20% of homes in the USA own one and the average American moves 11 times in their life, there is a lot of moving to go on. Pianos are heavy, fragile, and expensive. And since they are big, they can also injure the people involved in the move and your property. Because of this, it is always advised to hire some moving companies Southern California offers when dealing with specialty items. The choice is yours, but whatever you decide, you will usually have to take the preparatory steps yourself. And thanks to our guide, you will learn how to prepare a piano for moving in no time.
What are the steps that you need to take when you prepare a piano for moving?
A piano can cost anywhere between $3,000 and $190,000. They are also the favorite instrument of many people, making them an expensive and sentimental item. Preparation is mandatory, no matter if hiring some piano movers Orange County CA team or not. The things that you need to do to prepare a piano for moving are:
- Gather the right packing supplies and equipment
- Measure and plan out your path
- Pay attention to the type of piano you have
Gather supplies and equipment
In case you are partnering up with reputable packing services Orange County CA movers offer, they will likely provide everything for you. If you are on your own, then you will need moving blankets, tape, a moving dolly, a piano board, straps, and a screwdriver. The requirements are different for different types of pianos, but these are the basics.
Measure and plan
Again, if you have professional assistance, you can also skip this step, since they will plan out the best route. But if you will do it by yourself, you need to familiarize yourself with your route. Sure, you have passed through your doorframes a million times, but you likely don’t know their dimensions. The same goes for your piano, no matter the type. This is a crucial step that will help you determine the best route, just like the professionals do.
Different pianos have different moving requirements
- Upright piano – this is the easiest type of piano to move and prepare. Apart from regular, wrapping the instrument in blankets and moving it with a dolly, you also need to secure the lid and remove the pedals.
- Baby grand – the preparation steps are the same, only that here you will need more moving blankets since the piano is bigger than the previous. Since it is also heavier, professional help is recommended
- Grand piano – if you own one of these, you should only intend to move it yourself if you are a professional since it weighs over a thousand pounds. No moving supplies Orange County CA movers offer will replace the skill and experience of real professionals.
Don’t lift a finger to prepare a piano for moving – let pros handle it
If you need to prepare a piano for moving yourself, it will take a lot of work. This is why many people decide to level it behind, sell it, or even donate it. This will save you from having to move it, but you will for sure miss it at some point in your new home.