Of all the requirements of a move, packing supplies are the ones that play the biggest role. They are a mainstream part of every move, and they have a good reason for that. Packing supplies play the biggest role in protecting your items, right before the packing techniques of some skilled OC movers. But nowadays you can find many types of packing materials on the market and different ways to get them. If have a dilemma on buying vs. renting moving supplies in Orange County, then you are in the right place. We will discuss the good and the bad sides of both, and leave it to you to decide which route you will go.
Buying vs. renting moving supplies – what choices do you have?
Packing supplies are just as varied as the people who are moving. They are all made for different use, but they have a single purpose – to protect your items and heart from heartbreak. In recent years, people have started using many green packing materials, but the conventional ones are still regular bubble wrap, cardboard boxes, packing tape, and moving dollies. Our Orange County residential movers, like many other reputable companies, are slowly becoming greener, but are still widely using conventional packing materials. Now, for finding these, you can either buy or rent them. The buying vs. renting moving supplies dilemma can be huge, and that’s why we compared the two approaches.
Buying supplies comes with a unique set of pros and cons
Buying moving supplies is the standard way of obtaining them. You can either get them at moving supplies Orange County CA or get creative and find some of them for free in grocery stores, online, etc. Hardware stores usually sell them in bulk too, but all these ways come with advantages and disadvantages.
- Whether you are buying new or second-hand moving supplies, you can decide the quantity and type of supplies that you will get. Since you will buy and pay for them, it is completely customizable to the customer’s desire.
- You can save money with bought supplies if you reuse or sell them. If you keep them for a future move, you won’t have to worry about finding supplies. And in case you sell them, you can get at least 2/3 of the invested money back.
- One major disadvantage of buying is the initial expense. Buying each supplier separately might not cost much, but the average move needs these supplies in bulk – which can turn out to be an expense of over $500.
- Once you get the supplies, you will have to store them for a certain amount of time. Packing materials won’t take much space, but empty boxes will. If you are already tight on storage, this might be a problem.
Renting supplies is not flawless either
Renting moving supplies might not be the traditional way, but it has been gaining popularity in recent years. The idea of being able to resume something multiple times and help more people has made it the favorite way of many people. But it also has its good sides and flaws.
- Companies that rent moving supplies usually deliver and pick them up. There will be no need to go shopping or look for a recycling center once you are done. These companies handle everything for you.
- Rented supplies are usually charged by the length of time that you are using them. If you are getting ready for a last-minute move assisted by our packing services in Orange County CA, you won’t need them for long, so you might end up saving money.
- No two moves are the same, so you might not like the standard moving supplies packages available. You don’t really have a choice in the size of the material of the boxes, only the number.
- Rented items tend to get damaged after a few uses. Packing supplies aren’t the most durable items, and unexpected things happen during moves. If you happen to damage or lose something, you will have to pay a fee to the company.
Final thoughts on the buying vs. renting moving supplies dilemma
As you can see, each choice in this buying vs. renting moving supplies dilemma comes with certain benefits and setbacks. If you pay a bigger initial price, you will have a wider range of choices. In case you have a company deliver and pick up the supplies, you might end up having to pay for damage, if it occurred. No option is perfect, but it all depends on your unique situation, budget, timeline, and personal preference. But whatever you do, don’t forget to pack an essentials bag! We wish you good luck and easy decision-making!